When life gives you briskets, make pastrami!

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
IOW "Yet another pastrami thread. :becky:

I reported on brisket I found at a price that made me happy. Here's what I got:

DSC_8808-PP.png

One was a little over 8 1/2 lb and the other just a bit over 9. They went on the 18 WSM with some oak and a little mesquite. The WSM settled in at about 240°F. At 5 hours I cut about 4 lb. from the top piece and brought it inside to finish like typical corned beef and cabbage. I boiled it with some carrots and potatoes and just before I was ready to eat, I put some cabbage in.

Here it is before going into the pot.

DSC_8819-PP.png

And ready to eat, :D

DSC_8821-PP.png

It was still a little firm at that point. It was good but I left it on at a simmer until SWMBO got home. I sliced off a couple more pieces and it was just about perfect.

A little later I brought the rest in off the smoker at about 10 hours total.

DSC_8825-PP.png

Before resting it, I had to slide a bot off to taste. ;)

DSC_8826-PP.png

It was really good! Perhaps a tad salty, but very tasty! (I only soaked it for an hour prior to smoking.)

I want life to give me briskets. Lol

Man the look good.
On a side note. How did you cook the cabbage?

I want life to give me briskets. Lol

Man the look good.
On a side note. How did you cook the cabbage?
Thanks.

I brought a piece of the brisket in after about 5 hours on the smoker and put it in a pot and just covered with water. I added potato chunks and carrots after it had simmered a couple more hours. Just before I was ready to eat, I set the cabbage wedges around the outside and cooked them until they were done and took the cabbage off. I don't like mushy cabbage! When SWMBO got home, I dropped one of the cabbage wedges back in the pot (I had simmered the corned beef a little longer) and in seconds, it was warm enough to serve. :thumb:

Back