Beef bacon? I had some and...

Aceman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It was good! It taste like bacon but had a lot of fat between the meat that "honeycomned" when it was grilled. Anyone ever have this before or better yet, make it? What part is it? How's it cured? Fill us in on it.

Never made it but beef bacon is great. I agree. It can often be found in the local groceries around here. Probably even in the halal shop (hey! even Muslims gotta have bacon).

It was good! It taste like bacon but had a lot of fat between the meat that "honeycomned" when it was grilled. Anyone ever have this before or better yet, make it? What part is it? How's it cured? Fill us in on it.

Live in an area with many halal meat shops. Beef bacon is very popular, and very good.

Not sure how it's processed. All I've purchased so far says, "Made in Canada" on the label.

Beef bacon is made with the navel plates, available from most real butchers and slaughter houses.

They are cured in the same manner as pork bellies based on weight of the meat product;
Cure #1 - the ratio is 0.25% (Multiplier .0025)
Salt - the ratio is 3% (Multiplier .03)

Sugar - the ratio is 1.25% (Multiplier .0125)

If you have a beef naval that weighs 1 Kilogram (1000 grams) the results would be as follows...
Weight of pork belly = 1000 grams

Cure #1 - 1000 X .0025 = 2.5 Grams of Cure #1

Salt - 1000 X .03 = 30 Grams of Salt

Sugar - 1000 X .0125 = 12.5 Grams of Sugar

for flavoring use the following aromatics for every pound of meat...
1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon pickling spice
1/4 teaspoon thyme
4 juniper berries

Just found some beef bacon at the local grocer.
Having never seen it before, I had to pick it up.
Sizzling it up today to see how it turns out.

I bought the Costco variety and used it to season my Blackstone. And then it went to the trash. I didn't like it.

Back