• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kingsford regular vs. Kingsford Hickory

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Headed to a competition this weekend, and I'm using my Fatboy for the first time in a comp. Up until now, I've only ever used regular kingsford blue in it, but was thinking about switching it up.

I don't want to use lump, only because I have no idea how the Fatboy will react burning lump.

So, I was thinking about buying a bag of the hickory briquettes to try those out. Is this a good idea? any other suggestions for a briquette to use?

Thanks!

Don't change a thing, first comp using a UDS we tried a bag of RO briquettes instead of the RO lump we had been using, temp kept dropping and dropping and every time we peeked inside the charcoal basket was still full. Started running all vents wide open and still was dropping, so hauled both racks outs filled with brisket and butts, basket was sure filled still...with ash. We weren't used to how much the briquettes ashes compared to lump, battled with the temp and ended up ruining our chicken in the process. 3rd pork, 5th ribs, 6th brisket and 9th in chicken, out of 13, finished 6th overall. If our chicken would have been half way decent we woulda been top 3, don't change!

X3 on not changing a thing during for a comp unless you have tried it before. If you want some hickory flavor, then add some hickory wood. I would not do this if you do not already do it when you cook normally.

I've never used Kingsford Hickory, but I don't believe it can be as good as plain ol hickory wood.

Lump (including the Kingsford lump) will burn hotter and produce less ash than the blue bag stuff. We use lump in our Fay Boy all the time - but it DOES burn differently than briquettes, so I think the other replies are right. Don't try it for the first time in a contest. Do practice with it later, you might like the results.

Wicked Good makes a really dense, hot burning lump that they also sell in a briquette version - worth a look.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with good ole Kingsford blue for this one.

on my WSM's both at home and at comps, I add a couple handfuls of the Kingsford Hickroy, scattered thru out the reg kingsford. I wouldnt just use all hickroy briquets a few lighting now and then is a good thing. I practiced this first a few times before a comp rum.

Back