• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butt Temp

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
At what temp do most of you like to pull your butts from the smoker and serve say within a 1/2 hours?

No temp...it's all by feel.
I start checking at 195 internal. I use my Thermopen to probe the butt in about 9 or 10 different spots.
When it's like Jello, it's done.

Wrap in cellophane and foil for 1-2 hours. Unwrap and squeeze out the renderings/liquid into the pan I'm pulling the pork in.

I start checking the bone wiggle at 190 degrees and I let it rest at least an hour in the cambro before pulling.

If the bone doesn't move freely I leave it on the smoker.

Yep. Every butt is different so you can't rely on temperature. Look for the bone to wiggle freely or for your probe to slide in with little resistance.

Then, wrap in foil and rest in a dry cooler to let the juices recirculate. I prefer at least two hours rest time.

when I first started it was helpful to use a thermo and start checking doness around 190 it... Most of the time 200 plus or minus a few was right.... Over time you learn the feel... And don't worry about temp... 2hour rest is my sweet spot...

Got a 8 lb butt on right now cruising at 275

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

200-210
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbgJCuFtqQ4&sns=em"]J$ UDS pork butt @300 - YouTube[/ame]

Once mine gets to about 195 internal temp, I really use my thermapen to judge by sliding it in and out. When it goes through like butter, I know it is time to pull the meat off the smoker.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose.

Now who can argue with red text!

However very sound advice. Cooking by time will give you a rough estimate as to when it "might"be done. Cookers run hot. Cookers run cool. Cooking by temp gets you closer than time will. Usually at about 190, I start checking for touch. Cooking by feel is the best way to go.

At what temp do most of you like to pull your butts from the smoker and serve say within a 1/2 hours?
Lots of good advice. It will hold in a cooler or wrapped in several towels for hours, so just aim to have it done about 2 hours before you wish to serve. That way you will be sure to have it ready when you wish.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the "neither time nor temp" Gods - :shock: - I will say that, with pork butts, there is a pretty darned good correlation between temperature and being finished. I cook mine to about 200 degrees (and yes, I give them the jiggle test too.) But it's a pretty good bet that a 200 degree pork butt is going to pull nicely. My two cents. :-D

Back