• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

30 GAL UDS questions

BluegrassSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok, I found a 30 gal drum, man they scarce...but I located one, unlined with a mind rust inhebiter, ( hoping that just a spay I can remove easy). Only one I can find resonable is a closed head....is my only option a kettle lid? Have you guys found another option? I know that the 18" webber will work, just wondering if there's another ( cheaper) way to make a lid...

I have a friend that has welder, plasma cutter etc....so I'm good there..

I have a 55 gal UDS but I don't smoke a lot at one time, just the wife and I at home....and I have a MB electric smoker ( my first smoker) for larger smokes, so I'm thinking a 30 gal UDS will be just fine for me.....

Just thinking out loud and ya'll always guide me in the right direction....

What's your thoughts:confused:

I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't really seen anyone using a flat lid on a 30 gallon uds. Also what height would the grate have to be then and would the use of a diffuser be recommend if you only had about 20 inches from the charcoal grate to the grill grate?

Have a piece of 2 inch flat steel rolled to the inside diameter of the drum, then tack weld or bolt it to a piece of sheet metal, like 10 or 12 gauge.

And the basket would be smaller than the 55, so distance wouldn't really mater.

Have a piece of 2 inch flat steel rolled to the inside diameter of the drum, then tack weld or bolt it to a piece of sheet metal, like 10 or 12 gauge.

And the basket would be smaller than the 55, so distance wouldn't really mater.

I don't understand....as a lid?

If you cut the drum 1/2" below the lid all the way around you could have a thin piece welded all the way around on the inside. That way the part you cut off will fit over the piece welded on the inside. May be a tight fit but a grinder and some elbow grease should fix that.
I was lucky enough to get a new open head 30 gal for $11 haven't even came close to starting it yet.
Good luck keep us posted.

I don't understand....as a lid?

Yes, as a lid. So the rolled flat steel sits inside the drum, but the sheet stay outside on top, your drippings stay inside the drum, and it would create a decent seal with some high heat silicone.

edit like this
20130227_202343_zpsaac1fa1c.jpg

Good point about the drippings staying inside the drum, with a strip rolled to the inside of the drum, but I wonder if rain water could get inside it? Wouldn't rolling the strip to fit the outside be better? Just asking, since I don't know the answer. I think WSM's have the problem of rainwater getting in since the lid fits inside the lip of the middle section.

I made a midi UDS some time and love it. It is a great size for 2 folks, but can handle a fair amount if you need to cook for more people. I did 2 8# pork butts for a party once, but have not pushed it to its limits to see how much food it can cook.

Some pics of my midi UDS build and unveiling.

I think I ended up with racks at 3", 8", and 15" from the top of the drum. In retrospect, I wouldn't worry about beer-can chix so much, because i think they are too much of a hassle now - would just spatchcock. I also would not add risers to all of the intakes, just one. And I would probably go with bigger intakes as well.

Have fun with your build. You're going to end up with a great cooker!

If it was me I would cut a 1/8 or 1/4 lid with the plasma or you could just put a piece of square flat on top of it, might not look as good ,but would work

shoot, even plywood would work as a flat lid, seen it used. but i think a domed lid would be better. i would just cut the top part out next to the seam.

Back