Need help with a gas grill

cb4004

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Guys, I do not know much about gassers. I picked up a Gennisis gold off CL, think is about 13-14 years old. My question to you all is, what kinda of temps should I be getting? Right now the best I can do is right around 320* I'm thinking is should be able to got hotter than that, any sudgestions?

Thanks Tom

Guys, I do not know much about gassers. I picked up a Gennisis gold off CL, think is about 13-14 years old. My question to you all is, what kinda of temps should I be getting? Right now the best I can do is right around 320* I'm thinking is should be able to got hotter than that, any sudgestions?

Thanks Tom

Hey fellow Escondido person. I don't have a Genesis but I can get my gasser up to 500 on the lid thermometer. (Grate is probably hotter) Not sure how your Genesis should perform. Good luck with it.

It should get hotter. The two things when a gas grill doesn't heat up right, look to the burner being work out, or the heat bars being too worn out or rusty. You may need to replace one or both of those. Easy enough to do, parts can be found at Home Depot or online.

One other quick thing to check. If the gas valve on the propane bottle is opened too quickly it can cause the regulator to throttle down as a safety precaution. This restricts the flow of gas and keeps the heat low. Try turning off the valve on the propane bottle, disconnect the bottle and then opening up the burners to high. This bleeds off any trapped gas. Shut them back off, reconnect the propane bottle and then SLOWLY open the valve and try again.
Had the same thing happen to me during my wife's birthday BBQ. Didn't know what was happening and it took forever to get everyone fed! This solved the problem but I also bought two more Webers..... just in case.

One other thing... Spiders love the scent that is added to propane. Check everything that the propane passes through for spider webs.

Back