• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wrap guy/girl ?

Whodat985

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Do you wrap your Boston butts are brisket etc. I’ve always wrapped never crossed my mind not to. But you guys that been in this for a while. Does it make a difference are not. I’m pretty sure next cook I will try full cook unwrapped. Have you tried both ways ? Can you tell with the final result of your cook ?

I wrap for time's sake. I used to not wrap big cuts but, ever since I did I have never looked back. Both ways produced good product. To me it's a personal preference I suppose.

To my mind this comes down a lot on what are you cooking with. If you are using something that is on the lower effort/fuel side like a cabinet/drum/kamado, just let time run its course and do its thing. However, if you are burning splits or pellets, than the level of effort and/or fuel consumption may point towards hurrying things along with a little wrap. I have historically wrapped . . . but I have also mostly cooked on a super inefficient, inconsistent cooker and not doing so could add a lot of time, fuel, and effort.

I always wrapped on my drum, almost never wrap on my pellet grill. I prefer the bark when I don’t wrap. It takes longer when you don’t wrap but on the pellet grill that’s not a big deal.

I wrap both butts and brisket. I too like to save and use the juices. Also I prefer for the bark to be on the softer side.

I go back and forth on this and it depends on what I am cooking on. When I cook for large groups - I wrap 100% of the time (Butts & Ribs) just to save time. At home I never wrap ribs or butts. I go back and forth on briskets. When I do wrap briskets, I like to use butcher paper vs foil - I think the bark holds better in the paper. I am cooking 2-15lb SRF Wagyu briskets for Thanksgiving and I am going back and forth on what to do. I am cooking them on an insulated, gravity feed - so temp control and fire management are not an issue. I may wrap one and leave one nude!

Last edited:
Like what was said before, if time was a factor, I'll wrap. I usually don't.

I always wrap ribs and brisket and never wrap butts. I'm going to do a ham tomorrow and it will get wrapped.

Wrap Briskets. Pan and foil Butts. Wrap baby backs if they are on the thicker sides. May or may not wrap Spares- depends on the mood.

I typically don't wrap but I did wrap the last butt I did in butcher paper to see if there was a difference and I really couldn't tell that there was.

I wrap briskets in paper. The last pork butt I did I wrapped in foil but the next one i'm either going to not wrap or try the foil boat to see if I like the bark better

Finally got around to try not wrapping an wasn’t a fan at all. Smoked some ribs smoked at 180 for 3 hrs raised temp to 225 for 2 hours sauced an cooked 1.5 hours at 225

Attachments

• 7778FEE5-298D-407D-8DE4-029876B892B8.jpg
    7778FEE5-298D-407D-8DE4-029876B892B8.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 30
Before you decide on unwrapped, raise the temperature of your cooker the next time you do ribs. I feel like you were running too low of a temperature cooking them. If you raise it up and cook at 225 or even 275 the whole time you will have a slightly different result. Ou may also try a pork butt at 225 to 275 to try also.. Just so you know, I wrap most things usually but that is mostly for times sake and then have juice for the pulled pork.

Back