• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A pot of chili

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I made some chili the other day, used
beef, onions, garlic, jalapenos, chilies, New Mexico Hatch chile powder, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, smoked salt, beer, tequila, beef stock... I think that was all. :)

028_zps8cf43e73.jpg

The chile powder came from Brethren Gtr. Thanks again Greg, I love it!! :mrgreen:

065_zps76fdb415.jpg

bacon drippings..

036_zpsd14f1221.jpg

seasoned meat with smoked salt and pepper, then browned in drippings..

041_zpsd032844a.jpg

onions and garlic....

049_zps59c1f396.jpg

added chile powder and spices..

053_zpsf1f50528.jpg

055_zps3a3335ec.jpg

meat, tomatoes and jalapenos..

061_zps2e05cb06.jpg

one beer and beef stock..

064_zpsf925d5f3.jpg

2 shots tequila. 1 for the chili and 1 for me. :razz:

066_zps1fc02825.jpg

added one chile and simmered..

068_zpsf93de764.jpg

made tortillas..

mix 2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix well then add
1 Tablespoon of lard (or shortening)
Mix well then add
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of warm water
Mix and form into ball, let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

047_zpsf2284da5.jpg

049_zps8a3bc5ee.jpg

051_zps680b015c.jpg

fry on the hot cast iron skillet..

059_zps196ca55e.jpg

038_zps48ed4865.jpg

001_zps883955cc.jpg

butter...

003_zps130aace5.jpg

Chili and hot tortilla..

030_zpsfab5a2c1.jpg

073_zps33b0d8b5.jpg

It was kinda tasty!

Love the New Mexico chile powder Greg.. thanks again!

Thanks for looking

That looks great!

2 sundays ago I did a chuck steak and pork chili, but I forgot to take pictures. :(

Mighty fine, Jeanie! Mighty fine!

I could go for a bowl of that right now.

Jeanie

Just last night I was talking with my No. 1 fan about using the drum to brew up some chili in my new dutch oven. Great comfort food!

Good Job, looks mighty tasty.

OH! btw I use similar quantities of tequila also. :lol:

Fine pot of chili! I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I don't have a chili recipe of my own but this got me inspired to finally come up with one, with some beans though :biggrin1:
I have some left over Tritip from my cook on Saturday I may use. I'll slow cook it over my wood stove in the living room.

That looks great!

2 sundays ago I did a chuck steak and pork chili, but I forgot to take pictures. :(

aawa your chuck and pork chili sound great!! I'd love the recipe if you ever get the time. Thanks!! :grin:

Gotta love GTR!:cool:
Gonna cook with some of his giPhts tonight.

Great looking meal Girl!
Have you ever tried dark chocolate in there?
Always works out for me.

Yep.. ya gotta love Greg. One heck of a sweet guy. :cool::thumb:
I've not tried chocolate Phu.. will give it a go. Thanks!!

Mighty fine, Jeanie! Mighty fine!

I could go for a bowl of that right now.

Gary thanks!! It tasted good at the time. I was pretty hungry though. lol

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Jeanie

Just last night I was talking with my No. 1 fan about using the drum to brew up some chili in my new dutch oven. Great comfort food!

Good Job, looks mighty tasty.

OH! btw I use similar quantities of tequila also. :lol:
lol Rick Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses tequila. It might not add flavor to the pot but it's the thought that counts. :mrgreen:
Hope you take pics of your chili, congrats on the new DO too. :grin:

Where the heck are the beans??? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

lol I love beans too.. but sometimes I just need regular ole chili. Thanks Dan!

Fine pot of chili! I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I don't have a chili recipe of my own but this got me inspired to finally come up with one, with some beans though :biggrin1:
I have some left over Tritip from my cook on Saturday I may use. I'll slow cook it over my wood stove in the living room.

Fiveflat your tritip wood stove chili sounds great!! Hope you take pics! :thumb:

Looks AWESOME Jeanie!!! I bet it tasted even better than it looks!!!

Hamilton Thank you!! It tasted pretty good. I didn't exactly use a recipe, just tossed everyone into the pot. :mrgreen:

Looks real good, never thought of the tequila aspect before. That sounds like it might be a candidate for venison as well.:-D

Hamilton Thank you!! It tasted pretty good. I didn't exactly use a recipe, just tossed everyone into the pot. :mrgreen:

That's usually how my Chili evolves too. A few of the basics and then what's available and what sounds good, and many times it can't be reproduced... Cheers!!!

Looks really good. I have a bag of that NM chile powder that my Aunt gave me. She lives in Alamogordo. I've been looking for ways to use it.

Code3 Thanks!! Those tortillas are really easy. Didn't mention in my post but when I make them, I place them inside a plastic baggie to keep them pliable until needed. Hope you give them a try sometime. :grin:

lol Chicago... Thanks! :mrgreen:

Looks real good, never thought of the tequila aspect before. That sounds like it might be a candidate for venison as well.:-D

Thank you willowrun!! I do the same in venison chili, not sure if it makes a difference but it makes me happy. :mrgreen:

Looks really good. I have a bag of that NM chile powder that my Aunt gave me. She lives in Alamogordo. I've been looking for ways to use it.

Wesman the powder is good stuff!!
Alamagordo... I've been there a couple of times. :grin:
Thanks!!

:eusa_clap:thumb:Can't beat a real bowl of RED Done right and fresh tarpaulins too !! :-D

aawa your chuck and pork chili sound great!! I'd love the recipe if you ever get the time. Thanks!! :grin:

2-2.5lbs of chucksteak
2-2.5lbs of country style ribs (i know it is pork butt sliced up :tongue:)
1 green pepper
2 jalapeno
2 anaheim chiles
1 pasilla chile
* I also added 2 what seemed to be Chile de arbol but not 100% sure since my friend gave them to me and didn't tell me what kind they were*
5 roma tomatos
1 can of stewed tomatos (you could use fresh tomato's here but I ran out and didn't feel like making a run to the store for more fresh tomatos)
1 bottle of a good microbrew beer
beef broth - I used low sodium so I could control the salt a little bit more.
1 large onion
a whole lotta garlic - super accurate measurement there I know :loco:
1 1/2 tablespoon cumin
~4 teaspoons paprika
~4 teaspoons oregano
some chili powder - not sure of my measurement on this, I did it to taste and I think i ended up with about 1/4cup

I smoked all the peppers for about an hour and the chucksteak and pork for about 2hrs. I then cubed the meat and diced the chiles after smoking them. The meat I lightly seasoned with salt/pepper.

In my cast iron dutch oven, sweat out the onions, garlic, peppers/chiles. Add the meat and tomato's/canned tomatos and cook down for another hour. Add in the the dry seasonings and let it cook down for 30mins. Add in the beer and beef broth. Cook down to the consistency you want. I would taste every 30mins or so and would salt to taste towards the end of the cook. (Since the beef broth has salt in it, I salted towards the end so the chili wouldn't be too salty for my tastes)

Dang girl! I wasn't ready for all that fantastic prOn! You gotta warn a fella next time! :thumb:

Back