• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for all the WSM experts...

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I just picked up a 22.5 WSM NIB off of CL in Houston. I have had my 18.5 WSM for about a year and I am certainly no expert, but the thing is pretty darned easy to turn out decent que on and I am getting more confident with each cook. My question is, how much difference is there between cooking on the 18 and the 22? Obviously, you can fit a lot more meat on the bigger unit and the ring should hold quite a bit more fuel. Does the extra fuel translate into higher temps or longer burns or does that just depend on operator performance? Planning on putting the big'un together this weekend and doing the first cook with some fatties and a chicken or two to break it in.

I've got both as well and other than different vent settings and burning more fuel to maintain temps I haven't noticed any difference at all. the first cook i did on the 22 I set it up just like i did my 18 with the same vent settings and everything. I order to get the temps I wanted I had to adjust the vents little but other than that I may as well had been cooking on the 18.

I have an iq and its the same settings on both pits

No big difference. HH will be harder on 22 without additional top vent. I just got a new larger fan for my Auber just for chicken to cook at 325.

I have an IQUE but I am planning on doing several cooks without it in order to get comfortable with the 22 (like I did with the 18). Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
The only real difference is it's gonna cost you a lot more because it looks so empty only cooking one or two racks, briskets, shoulders at a time so you compulsively buy more meat which attracts more family and "friends".

I have both and have used them both in competitions and home use and have found I like the 18 better. Nothing wrong with the 22 and it puts out great food I just have found that the 18 seems to hold temps better.

Back