Charcoal to fuel a Lang Smoker?

TheMidnightSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
In reading the Q&A section of the Lang website I see where it is possible to burn charcoal in a Lang smoker rather than wood. I also saw a video where a Lang owner said he uses charcoal and wood in his smoker. Do any of you Lang owners use charcoal rather than or along with wood to fuel your Lang smoker?

Is it because of the (large) size of the firebox that there is a preference for wood (splits)? If so i guess this question would apply to any larger offset owners. I use both in my smoker and my firebox is 24" wide.

What is the concern with using only one or the other? Do you have trouble finding wood in your area?

My Lang has the 24x24 firebox. I've done 100% hardwood, and 100% charcoal. They
all work fine. I now mix the two, starting off with a bed of charcoal and charcoal lit
from a chimney, then throw a few warmed split pieces on the top. I'll use about a
chimney full of charcoal an hour+- and a split log or two depending on size.

What is the concern with using only one or the other? Do you have trouble finding wood in your area?

I have no experience with burning only wood. I have only used charcoal with wood chunks so I have never even purchased a cord or even a half-cord of wood. Not sure where I would get it or store it here in my little residential home. So from what I am reading it sounds like a lot of larger offset owners use a combination of charcoal and wood. Do you guys start with charcoal and then add wood throughout the cook? I am trying to determine what kind of smoker I want to purchase this year so your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

My pit has a 24x24 firebox. I start out with a lit chimney of lump and place another unlit chimney of lump in basket with splits. Then just add splits as needed. Occasionally i will add more lump if coals get down to much. That works for me. I think thats pretty standard with a stick burner.

I have a Lang 84 delux that i use both wood and charcoal in. I use charcoal when i want high heat and don't want to feed my cooker every 30 mins or so.

Back