Chicken thigh marinade

Goin Que Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you guys use for a marinade when smoking chicken? I have been using Italian dressing for a while now and wanted to change things up a bit. My usual procedure is to add my rub, garlic salt, granulated garlic, onion powder and lemon pepper to the dressing, then lightly dip both sides of the thigh then refrigerate before smoking.
I’m interested to hear what some of you guys are doing whether it’s for a comp or just the back yard.

Thanks
John

Hi John!

I usually do a small mix italian dressing, a touch of balsamic vinegar, some garlic powder and some lemon juice.

I will let the chicken sit in that over night. I pull out the chicken a couple hours before I'm ready to cook it to bring it up to almost room temperature all the way through, but before I toss it in the smoker I make a thin "paste" of cilantro, fresh garlic and olive oil. I liberally coat the chicken with this mixture and toss it on.

I bought some of KosmosQ chicken soak and it is really much better than Italian salad dressing, which is what I used before. I have brined a whole turkeys, whole chicken and a couple of messes of wings and everything came out really juicy and flavorful. He is a member here.

www.KosmosQ.com

I normally brine chicken instead of marinading, but when I do marinade, i like Stubb's Chicken Marinade.

I just did this one today:

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh OJ
1tsp kosher salt
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
3 cloves garlic
zest from one lemon and one orange.

mix all together and let chicken marinate for a couple of hours. Not to shabby.

one of my favs though is this one:

3 /4 stick of BUTTER, 1/2 cup when melted
1/2 cup white wine (see below)***
1/2 cup Tabasco or franks red hot
2 Tbls Lawry’s Season Pepper
1 Tbls Lawry’s Season Salt (reduce if using salted butter)
3 Tbls Granulated Garlic (NOT Garlic salt) Note to self* GO EASY ON THE GARLIC. CAN USE POWDER
8 to 10 mild Jalapeno slices (3 to 4 of the Hot variety it should say on the jar or can)
1/4 tsp ground Basil

***Non-alcoholic wine, chicken broth or stock, diluted white wine vinegar or cider vinegar, white grape juice diluted with white wine vinegar, ginger ale, canned mushroom liquid, water. For marinades, substitute 1/4 cup vinegar plus 1 Tbsp sugar plus 1/4 cup water.

I bought some of KosmosQ chicken soak and it is really much better than Italian salad dressing, which is what I used before. I have brined a whole turkeys, whole chicken and a couple of messes of wings and everything came out really juicy and flavorful. He is a member here.

www.KosmosQ.com

^^^^^^^^^^what he said :thumb:

www.KosmosQ.com

^^^^^^^^^^what he said

Just spent $40 on the site. haha

I've used the beef inject Kosmo but never the chicken soak.
How does it work when the thighs have had "skin surgery?"
(Removing skin, scrape off fat and put the skin back on)
Also do you get bite through skin with Kosmos?

Thanks
John

Back