• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

It's that time of year again. TURKEYS ON SALE!!!

DeepElemCue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just picked up a couple of whole birds at $.48 a pound. I may need an intervention because last year I bought 7 total birds and my kids threatened to leave if I ever made turkey pizza again..

That is a bargain. I picked up a Butterball "All Natural" 15 pounder Thursday and paid $1.12/lb for it. It's on the Kamado Joe right now :)

I got two for $0.59/lb at Tom Thumb. 14.5 lb is getting ready to come out of the smoker. It is the practice bird for the 18.5 lb turkey I have waiting for Thanksgiving (though we may deep fry it).

Hmmmm. It seems like the sales haven't hit Long Island yet. And I need to pick up about 6 turkeys.

Next week, I guess.

Eric

I might not buy one from the butcher @ 1.80 lb when i can get a butterball for about $1 Brine the butchers or not brine if i get the enhanced...not sure which way i'll go.

Thanks for posting a thread about price. I usually don't buy turkey. Sister asked me to smoke one this year though. I have no clue what a good price was. I saw some young honeysuckle whites on sale at IGA for $1.15 per lb. Sounds like that was not much of a sale. Hopefully they will start some real sales here soon. I'll keep looking.

The turkeys are the loss leaders for the stores. I worked 6 years in a meat dept and those sales prices were losing money. Sell them for 39 cents lb and they cost 69 cents lb. They want you to buy all the other crap for the dinner.

Back in the day (1986 - 1992) you had to price those farkers by hand. Calculator in one hand and a sharpie in the other and write the price on the bird.

Man I hated November.

The turkeys are the loss leaders for the stores. I worked 6 years in a meat dept and those sales prices were losing money. Sell them for 39 cents lb and they cost 69 cents lb. They want you to buy all the other crap for the dinner.

Back in the day (1986 - 1992) you had to price those farkers by hand. Calculator in one hand and a sharpie in the other and write the price on the bird.

Man I hated November.

Yup...lose $10 on a bird but make up $20 on the stuffing, veggies, gravy and cranberry sauce sales.

Last night at wally world got a 14lber for $0.69/lb for practice this weekend. Probably go back this weekend to get 1 or 2 more for turkey day.

Back