Chicken cooked whole or in parts

Jensen

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on cooking competition chicken whether to cook the bird whole (spatchcock) or cut the bird into parts, thighs, drums, and leave the wing and breast attached? I will brine/inject/rub the bird prior to placing it on the grill then glaze last 15 -20 minutes.

Secondly, will cooking the chicken in parts significantly reduce the cooking time if cooked at 250-275 versus intact "spatchcocked"?

My reason for cutting the bird prior to cooking it is to make it less likely that the skin will tear/fall off when cutting it whole prior to setting it in a blind box. 6 piece minimum as required.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think it depends on the sanctioning body. In IBCA we have to cook a whole, fully jointed, chicken and turn in one half of it. Thighs and lollipop legs seem to be the thing to do in KCBS and other similiar sanctions. Cooking parts of the chicken Will affect the cook time. Brining is always a plus with comp chicken. Most folks will cook their chicken at 325 to 350 to get a more crispy skin also.

Hi IceKub,

The chicken/rib is Central Canada sanctioned but its an amateur competition. The rules do not indicate that the bird has too be whole when cooked. It only requires 6 pieces. Your thoughts?

If only needed 6 pieces, I'd suggest cooking thighs (as stated earlier I believe).

Thighs, trimmed, skin scraped in a pan with butter or parkay. That's a good starting point. Lots of little tricks you can add with experience.

Would really like to see the rules and their definiton of the 6 pieces.

Lot you can do with 1/2 or whole chickens.

How do you turn in the chicken? That may dictate what you can use based on space. If the 6 pieces are going to 6 judges, I think it's a good idea to turn in 6 of the same type of piece. If you take a whole bird and turn in a couple of legs, a couple of thighs, a breast and a wing for example, a judge who prefers thighs may get the wing and feel slighted. You never know :-D

Basically (2) whole chickens are provided and you must turn in a minimum of 6 pieces. Ron you make a valid point regarding the judges preferences however, with only a max of 4 thighs, 4 drums, chicken breast cut into chunks and then wings it may be more beneficial to turn in at least one of each piece is represented but ensure there are more thighs than the rest.

This is where I am wondering if precutting the bird into parts is more efficient rather than spatchcocking the birds and then trying to carve them into different parts. Your thoughts?

I have been wondering if you where to cook a whole bird. Would It hurt you if you boxed six nice slices of moist breast. I am Planning on doing thighs but I can cook a mean bird whole.

Can you go with chopped or pulled chicken as the entry and have enough for 6 portions?

Last edited:
i'm not a comp guy but you definitely need to cook your yardbird at a temp no lower than 300. 350-375 is about right, sometimes i even go a little higher.

Picture this in your BBQ instead of the Oven. Look at the moist breast when he cut's it apart to plate it.
[ame="http://youtu.be/Wu9josPl_LI"]http://youtu.be/Wu9josPl_LI[/ame]

since not a sanctioned event and 2 birds are supplied to all, the judges will not be looking for symentry, how about cooking whole, cut 4 wings into 8 pieces, you also will have 4 thiegs, 4 legs, 4 breast...cut up after cooking and pick out the best parts and LOAD t he box up..min of 12 pcs..

Thanks for all the good feedback. Given that this is nonsanctioned would it still be worth while to scrape the underside of the chicken thighs, rewrap and cook them and cook the other parts separate? Or since there are 2 birds skip the scraping step and just cook the birds spatchcocked?

Don't scrape.

Cut the chickens in 1/2's. remove the rib / breast bones, its easier than it looks.

Cook the 1/2 chickens. When you get ready to plate, leg quarters should be easy to remove. Seperate leg from thigh.

With an electric knife or a very sharp one, cut your breasts into 6 equal parts, leave the wings on, your breast skin should stay in place, if not put it back.

Place both breast portions in the center of the box, situate the legs and thighs around so it looks good.

You can also remove the wings with poultry shears before hand prior and have them around the breasts as well.

Judges now have 12 breast sections and multiple other parts and pieces.

Good luck!

RangerJ this is brilliant! I will let you know how it fairs out in a few weeks.

Thanks a ton.

Back