• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Two Chicken Conundrum

palehorse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So here's the rub. I only got two chickens to produce 6 (or more) pieces in a turn in box. I've watched countless tutorials on how to prep thighs (bone in, bone out, muffin tin, brined, basted, buttered, etc...) for comp. The trouble with most of those tutorials in that you have an endless supply of bird to cull from.

In the past, I've taken the 4 breasts and halfed 'em to get 8 pieces of boneless chicken of small to reasonable size. It works, but at this point, I'm thinking a darker meat will serve me better in the long run.

Am I safe to take the same approach with the thighs, and possibly the leg meat to make chicken meatball bites?

How would y'all approach this challenge? How would you cook chicken for competition if someone handed you two fryers, and a clock? (This sounds like a nice throwdown doesn't it!)....

I would cook it all in pieces and put the best in box. I would slice the breast meat if it was going in the box. But I would just pick the best parts of what is cooked. If its 4 thighs and 2 legs, that's what I'd go with.

Back