The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Injecting Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12721)

Neil 07-29-2005 01:56 PM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommykendall
Jim - what do you think of pure beef base found at grocers and in spice catalogs? Does this compare to Fab-B? Would it make a good injection product?

My thoughts exactly but I am going to have to give it a try with garlic as Ron suggested.

chad 07-29-2005 02:12 PM

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

Beef base is very similar to boullion - look out for the sodium. Other than that it works well for lots of things - I've used it as gravy base a few times when I didn't have real "drippings". And no, it's not Fab-B - you could add Fab-B to the reconstituted base.

jt 07-29-2005 02:36 PM

3900. Breathe, Chad, Breathe

chad 07-29-2005 02:40 PM

:D

ckkphoto 07-29-2005 04:49 PM

RE: Re: RE: Re: Injecting Brisket

I have cooked a fair number of dry rubbed briskets and injected briskets and brined briskets. the injected and brined briskets win hands down. I actually prefer brined AND injected, but seldom put in the effort. Makes a difference though. As an aside to the fat cap up or down argument, I would like to see the correlation between up/down preference and use of a water pan.

Kevin 07-29-2005 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl

When I traveled the country for GE, the best beef I ate was in states where cattle mostly ate corn. It is not so here, beef is tough here because they eat mostly brown weeds.

Yep!

I live in farm country. The best beef, or pork for that matter, is the stuff raised for personal eatin, not the product raised for sale to market. Sorry Poo, but that fine eatin stuff in CryOvac comes from somewhere. Corn fed beef is so tender the table knife is not needed for T-bones.

Back on topic. I've got a 12# brisket rubbed for tomorrow's cook and I'm going to inject it with a mix of Jim Beam,Au Jus, garlic powder, butter, and contemplating on Kitchen Bouquet, the flavor is good but it is kind of dark and I don't want to discolor the brisket. Any suggestions?

Kevin

chad 07-29-2005 06:47 PM

I'd advise against the KBouquet - it is guaranteed to stain the meat - rub the outside before applying rub -- gives a nice start to the bark.

You want your injection to be clear or slightly translucent - in my opinion.

Just my $.02 worth

kcquer 07-30-2005 07:19 AM

I use one of these

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-l...html?E+scstore

the OL got it for me for Christmas last year. Works like a MoFo!!

Quote:

I'd advise against the KBouquet - it is guaranteed to stain the meat -
I wouldn't use it for a contest, as staining would obviously not be desireable in that situation. At home the staining won't hurt anything and might actually be helpful in that you'll get an indication of how effective you were at distributing the injection.
Quote:

the injected and brined briskets win hands down
I think the benefits of putting your solution both in and around the meat (brisket, butt or whatever) is obvious. If you're gonna take the time to do one, augment it with the other.

Damn, I wanna cook now!!

Kevin 07-30-2005 05:29 PM

[quote="Kevin I've got a 12# brisket rubbed for tomorrow's cook and I'm going to inject it with a mix of Jim Beam,Au Jus, garlic powder, butter, and contemplating on Kitchen Bouquet, the flavor is good but it is kind of dark and I don't want to discolor the brisket. Any suggestions?

Kevin[/quote]

Did a little change up on the injection ingredients to avoid the dark color. Used canned beef broth, butter, garlic powder, and bourbon. The brisket turned out beautiful. No tracks or discoloration whatsoever. Tasted great except for the strong alcohol flavor. I quit using wine for cooking years ago because I didn't like the alcohol flavor. Why would I think bourbon would work? Oh well, that's how you learn. The thing was realy good though.

Kevin